[lbo-talk] decentralization, Whole Foods style

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu May 29 18:19:35 PDT 2003

Kelley wrote:

> yah. it's .5 miles. the closet.
>
> so, you shop there out of convenience. and, like everyone else in the
> world, you rationalize why it's ok to do so. there's really no need to
> valorize the place in order to excuse it for its asschomp behavior. it's
> especially silly to uphold it for being located in the inner harbor
> district. it's hardly like they're _really_ locating in a blighted
> neighborhood. they're in the gentrified, revitalized area where they
> catch the tourist and downtown yuppie biz ferchrisake.

Nice zinger. Inner city neighborhoods are in need of more grocery stores, but it would be far better around here if a new Safeway or Giant opened up as opposed to a Whole Foods. The yuppies that are gentrifying Shaw prefer the new Whole Foods on P St., whereas I don't see many white faces when I go into the Giant at 8th and P St. NW.

Whole Foods stores serve as supply depots for the white yuppie colonizers who are gentrifying Washington.

Don't get me started on how the fucking Metro serves as a Indy level engine of gentrification.

Chuck0