[lbo-talk] decentralization, Whole Foods style

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Thu May 29 22:02:36 PDT 2003

kelley wrote:
> Oh, I think it's very familiar and fits right in line with the
> glories gushing from the pages Tom Peter's been penning
> since his fist-pounding, sweat-dripping revolutionary
> bizgasms in _In Search of Excellence_.
>
> I honestly don't see how anyone is surprised. Not that you
> seem so, Shane. But I think I'm responding to the "aberration"
> above. I find it surprising that anyone would think this is an
> aberration. For one thing, we've frequently discussed
> hostilities between Greens and labor on the list. It was
> worthy enough to note that the lesbians were marching with
> the UAW in Seattle and think, Wow, something might be
> happening here. And the fact is, consciousness is shaped
> by your relation to the means of production, is it not? It's
> not determined by them, no, but that owners of the largest
> natural food store in the nation are opposed to unions is not
> at all surprising.

I agree, and tend to take as given, on this list, what you say about the influence of our positions in the economic order on our consciousness. The fact that WF is anti-union isn't what I find an aberration. It's the Peters plus proggie rationale given. You're right about it being tougher to beat than old anti-union lines, but I didn't appreciate how widespread it's use has become.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!