[lbo-talk] Re: invasion of the body counters

Joseph Green comvox at flash.net
Fri May 30 22:21:35 PDT 2003

> At 12:39 PM -0400 30/5/03, Chris Doss wrote:
>
> >The only occasions I can think of when groups were targeted for ethnic
> >grounds were when the Chechen, Ossetian and Ingush populations were
> >deported en masse in WWII because some were allying with Hitler.

There were also other nationalities that suffered mass deportations between October 1943 and June 1944, such as the Karachays, the Balkars, the Kalmyks, and the Crimean Tatars. The Volga Germans had been deported earlier in August 1941.

And let's not forget that many Chechens fought in the Red Army against the Nazis, and were then deported. The deportations, if anything, harmed the direct war effort, as well as being a major betrayal of the anti-fascist cause. They were a murderous chauvinist atrocity that struck at the small nationalities, while naturally leaving aside the large nationalities, although there were fascist collaborators from the large nationalities as well. And they set a precedent which is still causing trouble today.

Moreover, I found that, after the deportations, the Chechens were subject to special police supervision and restrictions. I presume other nationalities were as well.

Nor is the period of exile ancient history -- it was still a live memory at the time that the first Chechen war of the 1990s broke out. Many of the Chechen leaders had spent part of their lives in the exile.

--Joseph Green

comvox at flash.net