[lbo-talk] invasion of the party snatchers

R rhisiart at charter.net
Fri May 30 23:44:34 PDT 2003

from: Voice4Change Changing Hearts and Minds http://www.voice4change.org

May 23, 2003

Behind the DLC Takeover By John Nichols The Progressive

Note this a story from the year 2000. Many readers want to know more about the DLC so I thought I'd pass the story on.

At the national convention of a major political party, an ideologically rigid sectarian clique secures the ultimate triumph. It inserts two of its own as nominees for the Presidency and the Vice Presidency. Heavily financed by the most powerful corporations in the world, the group's leaders gather in a private club fifty-four floors above the convention hall, apart from the delegates of the party they had infiltrated. There, they carefully monitor the convention's acceptance of a platform the organization had drafted almost in its entirety. Then, with the ticket secured and with the policy course of the party set, they introduce a team of 100 shock troops to deploy across the country to lock up the party's grassroots.

This is not some fantastic political thriller starring Harrison Ford or Sharon Stone. This is the real-life version of Invasion of the Party Snatchers--with the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC) burrowing into the pod that is the Democratic Party.

For the rest of the story: http://www.progressive.org/nich1000.htm and http://www.voice4change.org/stories/showstory.asp?file=030523~v4c.asp