[lbo-talk] Book Query

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sat May 31 09:01:40 PDT 2003

These are probably obvious. I don't read too many sports books but a couple I have and liked are The Boys of Summer (in particular) and A Good Walk Spoiled. The first I read ages ago but I still remember the parts about Jackie Robinson.

I haven't read Remnick's book about Ali but it got good notices.

Good luck with it. Sounds like a mammoth undertaking.

mbs

rom: Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net>

To All --

I've been approached to write a sweeping history of American sports, from the Colonial period onward, focusing on the various cultural and political elements that made and continue to make up the games -- from race to sex to capital vs. labor, advertising, and so on -- as well as dealing with the athletes and owners themselvess. Anyone with any suggested sources or reading material may contact me on - or off-list.