[lbo-talk] Hitchens inches toward saying he was wrong

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat May 31 09:08:02 PDT 2003

> Wow. That's not a very coherent piece of writing. [Hitch's] no longer
> making much sense. What's his brand identity now that he's no longer
> a renegade leftist?
>
> Doug

In my recent emails with him, I posted all his pre-war and in-war statements about WMD, all his "just you wait" cracks, and so on, and then asked him how he could now say, as he has, that Saddam couldn't have had WMD, or not very much anyway, and that the war was justified by the mass graves, etc. He pointed to a Dec piece in Slate that he claimed countered my critique, but it did nothing of the kind (and that piece came before the "just you wait" columns). When I mentioned this, he said he didn't understand what I was talking about.

Sad. The slippage is quite real. I promised Steve Perry a piece about Hitch for City Pages. I've been really torn about finishing it, but think now I really should.

DP