[lbo-talk] MN: Repugs beginning to worry Iraq will be bad for them

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sat May 31 16:57:59 PDT 2003

>But isn't that a horrible thing to hope for?
>Sergio

Indeed.

But these matters are beyond the realm of hope now.

By which I mean it isn’t necessary to wish for the occupations (or puppet governments that follow) to go badly. The ‘facts on the ground’, as the saying goes, coupled with the additional fact that the best interests of the people under American domination is not a consideration (amongst the planners, individual soldiers and others may want to do good) guarantee that things will go poorly – sooner or later. Sooner seems more like it.

Which in turn means that the news will be dismal. Again, whether we wish it to be or not.

And so, as the body bags return home to the US, and young servicemen and women who believed that ‘the road home is through Baghdad’ find themselves stuck in a hot, hostile place for reasons that seem less and less sensible, ordinary folks – their families, friends and just general lookers on – will feel increasingly discontented.

In the end, the death of GIs and the stagnant, soul deadening nature of occupation and domination will convince more ordinary people of the necessity of change than any amount of elegant progressive analysis or passionate civil disobedience.

I’m not a ghoul and don’t hope for this (death, that is); but it seems to be as easily predictable as night following day.

D.