[lbo-talk] pain & development

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 2 02:14:43 PST 2003

>From: dredmond at efn.org

Russia and Eastern Europe posted respectable growth rates during the heyday of Communism; Mao's China, Ho's Vietnam and Fidel's Cuba accomplished great things in land reform, basic industrialization and education.

-- Stalin had boggles-the-mind growth rates. I am deeply awed every time I walk by a Stalin building or the Stalin-built metro -- what must it have been like for a peasant from the regions in the 30s? "We're doing it! We're building a new society! We're buildng Communism!"

The 30s were a very bloody, but at the same time very idealistic, time in the USSR.

The only time you hear the word "Stalinist" in Russia, BTW, is with respect to architecture.

_________________________________________________________________ Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es