[lbo-talk] pain & development

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Sun Nov 2 03:45:38 PST 2003

Grant Lee wrote:

> Ulhas asked
>
> > What is this method or approach which Marxists have been talking about for
> 150 years? Is it the same
> > thing called the Dialectic in History and Class Consciousness?
>
> The dialectic is a large part of historical materialism but it's not the sum
> total of it. As usual, it's difficult to find a neat summary in Marx, but
> see "First Premises of Materialist Method", from The_German_Ideology:
>
> "The premises from which we begin are not arbitrary ones, not dogmas,

etc.

This is far too general a summary of method you talk about. I presume everyone on this List is familiar with The German Ideology. I was looking for something more definite than this. If there is anything called the Dialectic, is there anything more specific than the three commonly known laws (e.g. transformation of quantity into quality etc.) that can be described in precise terms. Surely we need to say more 150 years after The German Ideology.

Ulhas