[lbo-talk] Seeger on the future of our race....

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sun Nov 2 03:46:45 PST 2003

(All: from Laura Flanders...T)

laura's SPIN :: Little Teaspoons

Folk singer Pete Seeger told Studs Terkel that he thinks we have a fifty-fifty chance for there to be a human race here in a hundred years. He's not being pessimistic, says Seeger:

"That's being optimistic, because it implies that anyone of us might be the grain of sand which will tip the scales in the right direction. Imagine that there's a big seesaw. At one end of it is a basket half full of rocks. That end is on the ground. At the other end is a basket one quarter full of sand. And a bunch of us with teaspoons, we're trying to put sand in that end. A lot of people laugh at us, they say, 'Oh, don't you see, it's leaking out as fast you're putting it in.' Well, we say, 'It's leaking out, but we're getting more people with teaspoons all the time. One of these days, you're going to see that whole basket with sand so full that this seesaw is going to go zoooo-- up in the other direction.' And people will say, 'Gee, how did it happen so quickly?' Us and our damned little teaspoons."

Pete Seeger's interview with Studs Terkel appears in "Hope Dies Last," out now, from the New Press.

===== ***************************************************************** "the Council Republic is not the culmination of everything, and even less does it stand for the most perfect form in which humans can live together. However the Council Republic is a prerequisite for the reconstruction of culture, because it makes possible the liquidation of the state,. It must be the task of the revolutionary of today to work for the Council system and the Council Republic". (Der Ziegelbrenner)

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal