[lbo-talk] FW: Help Defeat Question 3

nathanne at nathannewman.org nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sun Nov 2 15:38:18 PST 2003

> nathanne at nathannewman.org wrote:
>>There is little question that nonpartisan elections in New York will
>> shift
>>politics to the right, especially at this point where progressives
>>actually are active within the primaries.
> I completely agree - I just don't see Bloomie's move as part of a
> national Republican strategy. I doubt Trent Lott or Tom DeLay would
> find him very congenial.
> Doug

There are some ways in which I like Bloomberg, but he is playing very close to the national GOP. He has been doing a number of major fundrasisers for national GOP leaders. See http://www.observer.com/pages/story.asp?ID=7277 http://www.politicsnj.com/kornacki120402_rove.htm

Admittedly, the nonpartisan elections has as much to do with Bloomberg's bizarre alliance with Lenora Fulani and the Independence Party.

It's often too easy to look purely at the local coalitions that make particular campaigns possible, while ignoring the national strategy pushing them forward. This push by the GOP to heighten partisanship in their strongholds while talking "nonpartisan" in places like NYC and California is too clear not to take seriously as explicit strategy.

-- Nathan