[lbo-talk] RE HOW THE ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT IS BLOWING IT: REVISITED

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sun Nov 2 15:47:05 PST 2003

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:

> I've been saying all along that I don't think the war on
> Iraq made all that much sense, economically speaking. I
> didn't see any significant payoff ...

You don't think that bringing Iraq back on-line as a major oil producer is going to have some medium-to-long-term economic benefits? Let's forget about how they got here, but once they were in that position -- Saddam wasn't playing ball; they need Iraq to play ball -- wasn't this the only way out? And by their current logic, the US isn't invading Cuba anytime soon because the reallignment of the sugar and cigar economies isn't high up there on the list of Things To Get Done Today ...?

/jordan