[lbo-talk] Iraqis celebrate yesterday's hit

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Mon Nov 3 07:34:57 PST 2003

Iraqi Villagers Celebrate U.S. Helicopter Hit 1 hour, 41 minutes ago Add Top Stories - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Michael Georgy

BAISA, Iraq (Reuters) - Iraqis in the village of Baisa say they couldn't have asked for a better present during Ramadan -- a U.S. helicopter shot down in their fields.

"We usually celebrate Ramadan at the end of the month. Now we are celebrating in the beginning after these infidel Americans were shot down," taxi driver Abdullah Hissein said.

As more U.S. helicopters patrolled over this typical Iraqi farming village on Monday, he said: "Now we want to take them down as well."

Fifteen American soldiers were killed on Sunday when a missile struck their Chinook helicopter -- the bloodiest single strike on U.S. troops since the fall of Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) in April.

Anger has been boiling up in Baisa, located in Iraq (news - web sites)'s Sunni Muslim heartland from where Saddam drew much of his support, in the weeks leading up to the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.

Iraqis said U.S. troops, who often come under attack from roadside bombs or rocket-propelled grenades in the nearby town of Falluja, had swept through the village hunting guerrillas.

People who failed to provide information on fighters were arrested after U.S. troops conducted aggressive searches, several villagers said.

"I know of several people who were arrested, including the local cleric and his family," farmer Kareem Mansour said.

"They put sacks over people's heads and took them away."

HOSTILE CHILDREN

U.S. officials have repeatedly blamed fighters loyal to Saddam and Muslim militants who cross the border from neighboring countries for attacks that have killed at least 136 American troops since President Bush (news - web sites) declared major combat over on May 1.

A few Baisa residents said they knew of a Syrian man who trained guerrillas. Others said Saddam's supporters were behind the violence.

They said U.S. troops made even more enemies on Sunday night.

"They just shoot at anything. They heard a noise and then they shot at one of our cows. When we stood on the roof and shone a light, they shot the lamp," said Hussein Issawi, a customs official.

Residents said U.S. troops tried to win over children with candy. But it didn't work.

"The children took the sweets and fooled the Americans," said Maher Abbas, a farmer.

Mansour said: "We hate the Americans. Even our young children pick up rocks and throw them when they see helicopters."

Barefoot Iraqi boys standing by as about 40 U.S. Humvees and trucks drove by to secure the perimeter around the crash site said they wanted to attack American soldiers.

"We don't want the Americans," said 11-year-old Abdullah Wahab. "I want to hit their planes."