[lbo-talk] Chomsky: (and Brecht): USA "best country in the world"

alessandro coricelli acoricelli at mac.com
Mon Nov 3 09:31:40 PST 2003

On Monday, November 3, 2003, at 08:45 AM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Brecht has a poem somewhere, written during the Nazi
> years, called "Germany, Pale Mother," or maybe those
> are the opening words. Anyway, it goes like this:

and here's a poem written by Ed Sanders :

O America! how I thirst for you to shine

& swirl in peace

on your tiny globe

out on the arm of a Spiral Galaxy

we call the Milky Way

swathed in a sheath of glowing gas

100,000 light years across!

I am singing you America

I am singing your wilderness

your smoggy cities, your art

& your wild creativity!

I am singing your crazy inventors

I sing the Hula Hoop & the Harley Hog & the oil of Hopper

& I am singing your schisms & controversies

O Nation, Vast & Seething

Day & Night & Dream!

War and secrecy

make writing America