[lbo-talk] Fisk profiled

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 09:53:53 PST 2003

Doug posted (from SF Chronicle):

Objective journalism? Not a bit.

<snip>

In the world of Robert Fisk, there's a holy template for how to report from the Middle East, Afghanistan and other hot spots: Give readers a "human" look at unfolding events, put yourself in the story (Fisk pieces inevitably use "I" a lot, as in "I came to the conclusion . . ."), don't bog it down with background that readers should know and pepper every piece with a critical eye on the "why" of things. Why are so many Baghdad residents dying under U.S. occupation? Why are American officials underplaying the sabotage of Iraq's oil pipelines? Why are average Iraqis willing to commit suicide-bombings against American soldiers?

Although the author indulges in a bit of smart-assedness at times (so common in American journalism) this seems to be a fair overview.

Inadvertantly, I think the profile gives us clues as to why there are, among readers, Robert Fisk people and Patrick Cockburn people.

Fisk is a hands-on guy who goes to where the event is happening and speaks the language. So his writings cannot be as easily dismissed as say, mine or Field Marshall Hitchens'.

Nevertheless, Fisk is a disturbing presence to not only conservatives (are there any real conservatives anymore or just reactionaries?) but also, maybe especially, big D Democrat style liberals who want to avoid the appearance of conspiracy theorizing and un-patriotism.

Fisk makes unashamed moral pronouncements and seems simultaneously outraged and bemused. This is not a style or tone many of us approve of.

Patrick Cockburn, who probably shares, more or less, Fisk's outlook on 'Operation Iraqi Freedom' (marketing is everything) provides calm descriptions of terrible events that speak for themselves.

Or, to frame it somewhat differently: Fisk would tell you that the Haliburton folks are assholes, Cockburn would simply tell you what they're doing, with heavy corroboration of sources, and leave the decision of ass-holiness up to the reader.

I think that both of these men are indispensible and we can assemble a fair approximation of the truth by comparing, contrasting and reading intelligently their articles.

DRM