[lbo-talk] Re: Serious Question on Question #3

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Mon Nov 3 11:21:07 PST 2003

I think you're way off base on Siegel, who as far as I know isn't running for anything this year anyway. You can disagree with Norman Siegel's position on the Harvey Milk School (I think I do) but it is certainly a progressive position. He is a civil libertarian who thinks that creating a separate space for queer kids lets the rest of the school system off the hook, in effect relieves it of the responsibility for battling homophobia in the schools. That may be a misguided reason not to support the HMS, but it's unfair to suggest Siegel doesn't support queer rights, or that he is only "allegedly" a progressive. If he's wrong, he's only wrong in that indispensable way the ACLU is sometimes wrong -- because when you apply the same worthy principles to absolutely everything, you make a few mistakes.

Liza