[lbo-talk] San Jose Cop Kills Vietnamese Woman and Found Not Guilty

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 10:27:08 PST 2003

--- DoreneFC at aol.com wrote:
> --Of COURSE anyone should be appalled that cops more
> or less have license to
> blow away 4-foot-tall 98-pound mentally ill brown
> people for brandishing
> vegetable peelers. But perhaps we should also be
> appalled that some cops really are
> not given any tools except their firearms for
> defusing situations like this.

Ok, let's give the benefit of the doubt to the cops (I dont want to do that but let's do it for the sake of pursuing another line of argument) and say that the cop had a right to protect himself and use his gun. Why did he have to shoot her in the chest? Why not shoot her in the arm or some other non-lethal area of the body in order to disable her? It is disputed by witneses, but the cop says that he warned the woman a few times before shooting. Wouldn't that give him time enough to think about a non-lethal way of subduing her?

-Thomas