[lbo-talk] hic

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 4 11:59:37 PST 2003

[ah, the good old days - via Sam Smith's Progressive Review]

I went home and saw my wife and then dined with the Colonel at his lodgings, and as he was to be busy, just drank half a bottle of port; the sallied forth between four and five with an avidity for drinking from the habit of some days before. I went to Fortune's; found nobody in the house but Captain James Gordon of Ellon. He and I drank five bottles of claret and were most profound politicians. He pressed me to take another; but my stomach was against it. I walked off very gravely though much intoxicated. Ranged through the streets till, having run hard down the Advocates' Close, which is very steep, I found myself on a sudden bouncing down an almost perpendicular stone stair. I could not stop, but when I came to the bottom of it, fell with a good deal of violence, which sobered me much. It was amazing that I was not killed or very much hurt; I only bruised my right heel severely. I stopped at Sir George's." - James Boswell, 4 November 1774