[lbo-talk] Chomsky: USA "best country in the world"

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Nov 4 14:24:54 PST 2003

Doug:
> why so many black men turn to crime. I don't think the answer is very
> complicated - the heritage of slavery and pervasive racism, which
> most white people won't admit to. And that, as I said earlier, is
> seriously fucked up.

I do not think that view enjoys much empirical support. Those most screw3ed up by the system are also the ones who obey the law the most.

A good, empirically grounded explanation of criminal behavior is linked to two concepts: alienation (dissolution of community and it social controls) and legitimation of crime and violence by peer groups and societal norms at large. More about that later, I have to catch the bus by now.

Wojtek