[lbo-talk] Superprofits

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Tue Nov 4 14:44:27 PST 2003

> Michael Dawson -PSU wrote:
>
> >In order to say that there is no connection, you have to say that there
is
> >room in the world capitalist economy for everybody who "gets it right" to
> >get rich

> Doug replied:
> That's a completely different analysis.

I don't see how it's separate. "Our" wealth comes from the normal operation of the world economy, which is now mature, leaving very little or no room for new Japans. As such, the further normal operation of the world economy requires all the players to accept their current positions within that economy -- i.e., that all or nearly all the poor nations stay poor. The latter is a precondition of continued G7 affluence. Barring a radical global redistribution of purchasing power, new Japans can only emerge at the expense of the G7 powers, who all labor to ensure that this won't happen, not least through the IMF.