[lbo-talk] Superprofits

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 4 15:34:48 PST 2003

Perhaps part of the answer to this riddle lies in looking at the extent to which the locus of 'imperial power' per se, has been de-territorialized or has shifted from the center-periphery model (per Cardoso/Gunder-Frank's dependency theory) to a model under which corporate profits no longer have a nationalist-imperial identity (British, Dutch, American, German, French) but a model where the share of the spoils have been truly internationalized among an elite group that transcend national boundaries. The fortunes 'global corporations' of old, the British East Africa Company, the British India Company etc. were tied to the national and hemispheric interests of the 'the West' - to what extent is this still true?.... Also, perhaps imperialism under late capitalism does not contribute to Western/Northern wealth in the same way today because the governments of the West, (the state) has a different relationship with their polities than they did during the imperial age due to immigration and other post-colonial changes in national identity, especially in Europe. Just some thoughts.....

Joe W.