[lbo-talk] Re: Superprofits )Origin of the 1st world 3rd world division)

Bryan Atinsky bryan at indymedia.org.il
Tue Nov 4 23:44:35 PST 2003

I notice the question is what is the 'origin' of the division, and now I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_world The term was coined by economist Alfred Sauvy in an article in the French magazine The Observer of August 14, 1952. It was a deliberate reference to the 'Third Estate' of the French Revolution. Tiers monde means third world in French. The term gained widespread popularity during the Cold War when many poorer nations adopted the category to describe themselves as neither being aligned with NATO or the USSR, but instead composing a non-aligned "third world."