[lbo-talk] RE: San Jose cop...

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Nov 5 09:26:08 PST 2003

Kelley:
> as for the police not showing up, last year a kid was wandering around
the
> apartment complex with what appeared to be a .357. I was a bit alarmed
but,
> aside from his youth, he wasn't really doing anything wrong and how
did
> anyone know if it was real or toy?
>
> A neighbor called the cops anyway. They showed up quickly. Thing is,
they
> showed up at the door of the woman who called and, again, shoved their
way
> into _her_ house. IOW, a kid was wandering around the complex with a
gun,
> he might have been out to cause problems, and instead of dealing with
that,
> they were pushing their way into the caller's home, interrogating her.

How does that relate to my argument? I do not know about you, but when I see someone walking with a .357 in my neighborhood, I feel much better when that someone is a cop rather than a kid. Matter of personal taste, I suppose.

As far as your death stats are concerned, they miss the point altogether, because they do not show the probability of encountering a potentially lethal situation. Are you implying that cops face lower probability of encountering potentially life threatening situations than other occupations do?

BTW, I am not at all surprise that not that many cops are killed on the job- after all they are, or at least supposed to be, professionals trained to handle dangerous situations. Higher death rates may undermine that assumption, and that would be really scary.

Clarification - I used the term "domestic call" in a loose sense - implying any call to a private residence, including not just domestic violence but all other disturbances as well. Some of the figures that you posted (such as ambush, arrest situations etc. would fall under that rubric).

As I said before, police officers are public servants and we should expect and demand of them a professional conduct and public accountability. It does not mean that cops will not abuse their authority and standards of professional conduct here and there, but neither does any other profession. Cop bashing in that situation is counterproductive, silly, and infantile - reminiscent of the bitching of a mischievous kid who got caught than a serious argument. Would anyone bash the CPA profession because a few CPAs helped cooking the Enron books? Or public transit drivers because some of them were criminally negligent?

Wojtek