[lbo-talk] ya crackhead!

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Wed Nov 5 11:15:23 PST 2003

the cop thread reminded me of a thread that had been going on at the Teaching Sociology list. Playing devil's advocate, a list member has been suggested that some of the liberal and radical left claims about crack, cocaine, and unfair sentencing is based on ideological committments that may blind us to reality: the reality, here, is that crack was/is (?) a far more serious threat to communities than other drugs and that the harsher sentencing was based on the fact that crack did rip communities apart.

leaving aside Justin's (andie's) point that we probably shouldn't be busting people for drugs to begin with, my gut instinct is that this argument that crack is a horrid, horrid addicting drug and because it's so horrid it ruined communities, etc. is something only a crackhead could dream up. HA!

the problem, OT1H, is that much of our understanding of addiction is based on pretty faulty models of addiction. OTOH, there's a lot of myth about crack. etc.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Resources you'd recommend? I'm just curious and really don't want to have a war over addiction and treatment models or anything else. Mostly curious about the crack/community breakdown/violence thing.

Kelley