[lbo-talk] Superprofits

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 5 12:07:30 PST 2003

I really didn't intend to lecture, and I didn't fault your logic, but your facts. I certainly don't think that the US ruling class would give up on any benefits it may or may not receive from exploiating the third world without a catastrophic defeat of the sort that taught the German or Japanese ruling classes that it was not profitable to behave that way. Thus far we do agree. I see that you do not care to dispute that imperialism mayt not be necessary for the survival of capitalism, without conding the the point. Rather you wish to discuss a different point.

Now, whether it would in fact benefit them to give up imperialism, that is a question that is worth discussing,a nd it is one on which I have an open mind. On the one hand, there is the point you make here, that having the ability to take advantage of low wages and the like benefits capiatlsits in theirstruggles with domestic labor, and improves their profitability. But there is the Keyesnian point on the other side: they have to be able to sell the stuff they make so cheaply. That's why most foreign investment is in the developed or developing countries, and not in the most expoloitaed parts of the third world. Wouldn't the US capitalist class do much better, collectively, if China were rich and buying boatloads of goods made by US companies?

And so we have the paradox I mentioned at the start: it is in the interest of each capitalist that all the other capitalist pay workers well enough to buy his products -- but that he pays his own workers much less. Thsi suggests that imperialsim is a logical result of capitalism, all right, but not one that is in the interests of capitalism. Rather, it is an example of the collective goods/public choice/prisoner's dilemma behavior that leads rational actors to choose a result that is worse for them than if they could cooperate to choose a result that is better if not best.

This would explain: (1) why imperialism issues from rational capitalist choices, (2) why it is robust and unlikely to change without a structural transformatoion of the system, (3) despite being possibly opposed to the interests of capiatlissts both individually and collectively.

Incidenatlly, the message that I draw from my view is not that the third world should heal itself, that its poverty is its own fault and that the advanced capitalsit countries have nothing to do with it. That seems quite unlikely, given for example, the behavior of the IMF and the World Bank. I don't knwo what W thinks.

jks