[lbo-talk] ya crackhead!

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Wed Nov 5 12:50:24 PST 2003

At 02:07 PM 11/5/03 -0600, Chuck0 wrote:
>Kelley wrote:
>
>>Anyone have any thoughts on this? Resources you'd recommend? I'm just
>>curious and really don't want to have a war over addiction and treatment
>>models or anything else. Mostly curious about the crack/community
>>breakdown/violence thing.
>
>Obesity is a severe health problem tearing poor communities apart,

Is it?

> but we don't lock people up for 20 years for possession of a Big Mac.

You might want to actually read before you waste k-wattage. I'd asked for comments from people who were willing to leave aside the fact that we don't need to throw people in jail for using drugs. I've long argued that they should be decriminalized.

I believe I just read the other day that our calorie consumption has actually declined in the past twenty years. I know that's the case in the UK, CA, AU despite their rising obesity rates. What has also declined is level of activity. Therefore, it is more likely that it's lack of exercise--not what you eat--that has contributing to rising obesity rates. (and, as I pointed out before, if you disaggregate the data, you also have to account for an aging population).

Do you have anything that is actually useful to me WRT my question which was about whether crack tore apart communities because of the nature of the drug/addiction?

Your reply, if taken seriously, suggests that you accept that crack, in and of itself is a horrible danger (like Big Macs) and it did tear communities apart. If this is so, why do you think that?

I don't think that is likely, simply by virtue of research in the sociology of drug and drug use--ack, the dreaded "social construction" of drugs and addiction!

someone give me tenure, quick!

oh, wait, i must go lash myself with a cat o' nine and refuse to let doug and liza watch because i've overposted and i'm a naughty naughy girl.

Kelley