[lbo-talk] JFK TAPE DETAILS HIGH-LEVEL VIETNAM COUP PLOTTING IN 1963, DOCUMENTS SHOW NO THOUGHT OF DIEM ASSASSINATION;

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 5 20:04:39 PST 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 19:01:57 -0800, Michael Dawson -PSU <mdawson at pdx.edu> wrote:

> So much for James Galbraith's theory about JFK pulling the plug.
>
> See Document 19:
>
> "Diem cannot carry the country to victory over the Viet Cong. With the
> passage of time, our objectives in Vietnam will become more and more
> difficult to achieve with Diem in control." October 29, 1963
>
> No objection/correction from JFK. Pulling out, my butt.

In a book just published here, blurbed by Zinn, Marilyn Blatt Young and Christian Appy who himself just published an oral history of the Vietnam War (the interview w/ Chalmers Johnson was esp. good. Given his turn leftwards, he is scathing there on student maoists and other ultra-leftists) was published by Bookmarks in the UK first, the author, Jonathan Neale, is an ISO'er here in Amherst, previously UK SWP based, "A People's History of the Vietnam War, " in the chapter I read a few days ago, it is mentioned that Diem had secret talks w/ NLF officials, and I'd assume, through that channel, the North was deliberating about an end run around the USG. Diem, the peace-maker? http://www.thenewpress.com/books/peoplevietnam.htm

-- Michael Pugliese