[lbo-talk] Re:What should prospective Canadian Managers know...

Will Thurber wthurber at taro.bus.BrockU.CA
Thu Nov 6 02:51:59 PST 2003

Your insights have been great, more eloquent, but certainly similar to my own thoughts. But... There is a lingering anti-Americanism lurking not far beneath the surface of most Canadians. While using this material might be cathartic to me, it will only feed into a pre-existing semi-hostile attitude structure making it more difficult for them to understand the Yanks and thus work co-operatively with American colleagues, just the opposite of my goal.

If I were describing American world views to an alien from another planet, your suggestions would be perfect, but given that Canadians have an almost smug sense of moral superiority - I fear that this would only be setting them up for an ass-kicking when they are older. Now I can solve this problem myself, to tell the Canadian Students to get over themselves. However, now I fear that I might be encouraging them to sell out their moral standards in the pursuit of material wealth, i.e. They can be poor and feel morally superior or they can be rich and try to accommodate their American peers. Now I acknowledge that I might be over-analyzing this, and fretting about the ethics of sycophancy in a business school might be a waste of my limited cognitive powers, but I can't help myself.