[lbo-talk] Re:What should prospective Canadian Managers know...

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 6 06:54:31 PST 2003

One key thing having nothing to do with colleagiality that Canadians should knwo is that American employees, including managers, have almost no rights in the workplace. I gather this is less true in Canada. Unless you have a civil service or union job (and supervisors cannot be unionized in America), you are probably an employee at will and can fe fired at any time for any reason or none except the handful of raesons that are legally prohibited, such as race or sex discrimination. (and these are very hard to prove.) Employee protectionsa re few and sparse and poorly enforced. Peoples hould be aware of that. If you can negotiate a contract, especially taht provides for termination only for cause, you will be in better shape.

Despite all all the self-hating Americanism here, I think that your managers will find that whatever our cultural deficiencies, religiosity, smugnessm, and odd conservative politics, Americans are one-on-one open, friendly, generous, and interested people, concerned to be fair and decnt to other individuals whom they know.

jks