[lbo-talk] Re:What should prospective Canadian Managers know...

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 6 07:22:01 PST 2003

Will Thurber wrote:

There is a lingering anti-Americanism lurking not far beneath the surface of most Canadians. While using this material might be cathartic to me, it will only feed into a pre-existing semi-hostile attitude structure making it more difficult for them to understand the Yanks and thus work co-operatively with American colleagues, just the opposite of my goal.

**********

Ah yes, point well taken.

Beyond the political stuff a few of us mentioned yesterday and speaking strictly about workplace issues, I'd say Canadians should understand that in the US there's a hierarchical order, rigorously enforced, yet cleverly hidden beneath a calling the boss by his first name, back slapping surface affability.

Office life (I can't speak about other work environments such as construction or emergency services) is a curious combination of the real and the crudely simulated.

For example, it's typical for employees to know when job losses are around the corner. Only the oblivious or the silly are left out or unaware of the office information loop (usually originating with the Human Resources dept.) about important issues like lay-offs.

Depsite the openess of the secret, appearances must be maintained. Managers call group meetings with 'team members' and assure them that no jobs are going to be cut, everyone is a valued part of the group and everyone's efforts are recognized by managers at the highest levels of the firm.

Usually within a few months (at the most) of such meetings, deep job cuts occur.

No one is surprised by these cuts and it is typical for American workers to blame themselves for not laboring hard enough or, to believe that the problem is the particular corporation they're working for. Many believe that if only they found the right job at the right firm with honest, competent managers and owners, they're working life would settle into a predictable pattern of hard work and matching rewards.

So there are always two levels of consciousness on display in workplaces: the pragmatic and hard headed understanding of one's true situation as disposable servant moving alongside, like one of those parallel universes string theory proposes, another level in which everyone is important, hard work is rewarded and owners and managers tell the truth.

On a daily basis then, you'll witness American workers swing wildly between the deepest cynicism and the most wide eyed optimism.

DRM