[lbo-talk] literacy

Diane Monaco dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
Thu Nov 6 07:44:21 PST 2003

Doug wrote:
> Alexander Nekvasil wrote:
>
> >Capitalism is not healthy in our day. It runs on
> >simulated growth
>
> So the U.S. doesn't really have a GDP of $11 trillion? It's all a
simulacrum? Baudrillard would be impressed.

...and we'd be doomed (pre-Keynes, pre-macroeconomics, pre-Great Depression days) with no references to reality and the connections between "sign" and "referent" altered forever. We'd never be able to find the "real" in all this. Yikes! But perhaps we could also cheat a bit as the "The Matrix" directors (Wachowski) did and not be completely true to Baudrillard's simulacrum. We could leave a few connections and a hovercraft like Nebuchadnezzar for the journey :).

All best, Diane