[lbo-talk] Re: cops, and non-cops

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 6 08:39:23 PST 2003

frank scott wrote:

> this business of dumping on cops is very much like the highly developed
> intellectual mindset that finds troops-armies are killers and
> responsible for war...these attitudes prevail among many who violently
> struggle with keyboards for a living...

Not necessarily. I've met exactly one person who wanted to blame the troops for Vietnam, while I know many who condemn cops as cops. They are scabs by occupation. There is no general statement one can make about the military.

For an anti-war movement to condemn soldiers en masse is fatal, since the main way an anti-war movement eventually becomes effective is its impact on the willingness of troops to fight. I.e., members of the military have options that, on the whole, cops do not.

Carrol