[lbo-talk] Re: Dixiecrat Dean?

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Thu Nov 6 09:51:17 PST 2003

Joseph Wanzala wrote:

> For his ("shocking!") embrace of Confederate flag wavers, Dean is
> risking offending the liberal part of his following (pissing off
> blacks and "lefties"), and going for the "big Clinton umbrella". This
> move smacked of Clinton, who managed to do all sorts of things deemed
> offensive to the black voting bloc, but never really suffered for
> it---and grabbed Republicans at the same time......
>
> From: Paul Gilman
>
> OK, Dean did it, he followed the initiation process that all Dem Party
> Presidentail candidate designees must go through, he showed white racist
> that he understands their needs. Clinton did it when he announced his
> Presidential candidacy by denouncing Sista Soul Jah on the spot where
> the KKK was founded.

Frankly, I think this is over nothing. It's pretty obvious that Dean used the phrase as a colloquialism, like a reference to "people who live in trailer parks" or "people who have gun racks on their pickups."

Feel free to get worked up over it if you like, but this just isn't a substantial issue to worry about.