[lbo-talk] Re: Dixiecrat Dean?

jeffrey fisher jfisher at igc.org
Thu Nov 6 11:06:39 PST 2003

On Thursday, November 6, 2003, at 01:53 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> andie nachgeborenen wrote:
>
>> Actually I think the people who say that this may be a
>> deliberate attempt to do a Sista Soulja moment may
>> be right -- otherwise he's dumber than we thought. jks
>
> The quote has a history. Did you read the earlier versions where he
> made an explicit link between not having health insurance and voting
> Republican for racial reasons?

right, so it's a false consciousness thing, a la edwards's riposte that dean was being "condescending".

dean has to do a better job of explaining that this is not all about false consciousness, any more than it's about reassuring racists that they'll be safe from black people.

that said, and regardless of how you understand dean's intentions, i think there's something fundamentally disingenuous about the other democrats' replies; they're being at least as opportunistic in their accusations as they accuse dean of being. the whole thing is disgusting, top to bottom, imho.