[lbo-talk] Re: dean and rebel flags

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Thu Nov 6 16:43:39 PST 2003

"...For his ("shocking!") embrace of Confederate flag wavers..."

shocking indeed...like our biggest problem in the world is confederate flags on trucks...

liberals, and some others, who need oxygen over this "shocker" should understand that many working class folks who sport rebel flags on trucks or t-shirts , do so to indicate that they are, ahem, individuals, free, not to be pushed around, oakland raider fans, etc., and have nothing - absolutely nothing - to do with racism, since the people who sport them aren't as sophisticated as liberals and may not know about symbolism that is, really, pretty outmoded, for most working class whites and many if not most blacks as well...

I'd also venture a guess that only political and upper middle class blacks - and of course, their white liberal friends - are really concerned about such symbols....others who suffer from institutionalized racism hardly need such nonsense to symbolize how awful it is...our prisons are filled with those not priviliged to suffer from symbols, having been forced to deal with a dreadful, material reality.

fs