[lbo-talk] Re: dean and rebel flags

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 6 19:06:07 PST 2003

I would invite you to place a confederate flag in your rear window and drive around say the poor West Oakland neighborhood where I live. It would be interesting to see how poor black would react. I seriously doubt that people who sport the confederate flag do so oblivious to its meaning - and if they do it does not make its meaning any less significant. Despite revisionist efforts to re-cast the confederate flag as a symbol of Southern liberty are disingenuous in the extreme. This symbol of malevolence and white supremacy was flown for the first time since the 1860s in 1962 at the height of the civil rights struggle by the racist govt. of South Carolina claiming that they were just celebrating the centennial of the Civil War - typical of the intellectual decietfulness of the racism behind this symbol - where people - like yourself, want to pretend to fly the flag under other pretexts, well knowing the real symbolic meaning it carries. Let's get real about this.

Joe W.