[lbo-talk] Re: dean and rebel flags

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Nov 7 10:11:37 PST 2003

Joseph Wanzala:

> This is not 'selective posturing' - it is dealing with the issue at hand.
> That is like saying everytime a person of color addresses an instance of
> perceived racism thay are being 'selective' by 'only' addressing 'one
issue
> at a time'.

The issue at hand isn't whether or not the Confederate flag carries racist symbolism (though for some it does), it is about Dean's comment concerning the Dems reaching out to those who display that flag. We can go on for days with anecdotes about the many ways the Confederate flag is seen & used, but I was trying to keep to the ridiculous, and yes, selective outrage over Dean's rather tame point.

And could we retire "people of color"? What a meaningless term. Are there people without color? See-thru people? Invisible tribes huddled in the forest? And what is the difference b/w "people of color" and "colored people"?

DP