[lbo-talk] Re: dean and rebel flags

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Nov 7 11:14:30 PST 2003

Joseph Wanzala wrote:

>The idea that the confederate flag carries racist symbolism 'for
>some and not for others' is disingenuous. It is a racist symbol
>period.

No kidding. I find it very hard to believe that anyone doesn't realize that black people read it as such, as do antiracist nonblack people. Especially after all those public fights about the meaning of the thing on all those state flags. But the convenient thing about it is you can pretend it's not racist - so you get to have it both ways.

Doug