[lbo-talk] Re: dean and rebel flags

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Fri Nov 7 11:51:05 PST 2003

At 02:23 PM 11/7/03 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
>And Dean was right to talk about trying to peel them away from the Repubs
>with, for the lack of a better phrase, social democratic policies. But to
>do so requires talking more explicitly about class and its relation to
>race than we usually do in American politics.
>
>Doug

but do you think he's really appealing to those folks when he says these things? or is he still appealing just to the folks who appreciate that analysis.

IME, most folks have a hard time applying a structural analysis to themselves, though they're happy to apply it to others. the people who have rebel flags on their trucks would probably tell him to shove his, as DRM says, "paternalistic Northern Liberalism" if they were paying attention to his comment. Not very many people like to be told that they pull levers in the voting booth (or do anything else for that matter) for reasons they don't get, but we edjamacated types do.

kelley