[lbo-talk] (US Media) War declared on resistance

Brad Mayer Bradley.Mayer at Sun.COM
Fri Nov 7 14:42:10 PST 2003

Put this in the file with CBS' withdrawal of the show that dared to poke a little fun at our Glorious Gipper, whose precious legacy shall always remaim immaculate in our hearts. In reality, the Reagan-Thatcher counterrevolution began America's slide into the mass psychosis it is now utterly in the grips of. You might recall that the prime ideological predicate of The Legacy was absolute denial of Americas' historic decline. Hence it must remain unquestioned still, here in cloud-koo-koo land. It's also the period when the American/Israeli Likud got their first real taste of power:

War declared on resistance

November 7, 2003

Los Angeles: The Los Angeles Times has ordered its journalists to stop describing anti-American forces in Iraq as resistance fighters, saying the term romanticises them and evokes World War II-era heroism.

[Interjection: Why not stop calling them "anti-American forces"? Or why not also call them "anti-Polish forces"? Yeah, I know, they're just shooting at them becasue they're Americans. I can imagine some Iraqi now, thinking, "Damn! I hate Polacks! Think I'll go kill me one.."]

An email circulated this week asked staff to instead use the terms insurgents or guerillas.

[Why stop at phony half-measures? Why not just call them "The Evil Ones"? "The Evil Ones shot down another US helicopter today.." Oops, but it is also verboten to directly admit that "they" shoot down anything of "yours", see: Six U.S. GIs Die in Iraq Helicopter Crash http://news.yahoo.com/fc?tmpl=fc&cid=34&in=world&cat=iraq Why not "mysterious helicopter crash"? "100,000 die in mysterious Hiroshima atomic blast", and so forth? But back then, they still said: "Yeah, we vaporized them". Not any more. Sure glad I'm not an American journalist.]

An assistant managing editor, Melissa McCoy, said on Wednesday that the memo followed a discussion among top editors at the paper and was not sparked by reader complaints.

McCoy said she considered the term resistance fighters an accurate description of Iraqis battling US troops, but said it also evoked World War II - specifically the French Resistance or Jews who fought against Nazis in the Warsaw ghetto.

She was confident that Times reporters who used the term had no intention to romanticise the Iraqis who have killed more than 100 US soldiers since Washington declared the war all but over in May. The paper's Baghdad bureau had no objection to the change.

[Don't worry, the scribes are all safe. They're not romantics; they've all got flag decals on their cars]

David Hoffman, foreign editor of The Washington Post, said his paper had used the phrase resistance fighters to describe Iraqi forces and had no objection to it. "They are resisting an American occupation so it's not inaccurate."

Reuters

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/11/06/1068013331454.html