[lbo-talk] Re: Democratic Communism

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Fri Nov 7 15:07:53 PST 2003

Personally, I can't imagine a human society that could dispense with politics. Reality is just too messy and complex, and some degree of selfishness is indeed wired into our reality, IMHO.

Taking a long-term view, communism is not opposed to "selfishness" -- in fact, it may be the only way to gratify it. It's hard to be "selfish" when the earth is in ashes. It's easier to be "selfish" when there's something to share.

And no, "selfishness" isn't wired into anything.

Joanna