[lbo-talk] Re: dean and rebel flags

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Nov 7 15:41:50 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>Far be from me to have any advice on how to win presidential elections,
>but I do have a query here. I believe the conventional wisdom is that
>one concentrates on the doubtful states, more or less ignoring both the
>states where one is heavily favored and the states where one is heavily
>disfavored.
>Does this sector of the electorate (and not of the general population
>but of the 50% +/- who will vote) make a big difference in the close
>states?

It could-- the whole point is that they economically should be voting Democratic and thus are potential swing voters. And states like Tennessee, Georgia, Arkansas, and Florida all are within reach and have some portion of folks with attachment to the confederate flag.

So it does make sense-- and needs to be contested in the longer run in any case for the Senate and House.

-- nathan