[lbo-talk] Investigators Say Iraqi Mass Graves Hold 300,000

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 8 16:43:54 PST 2003

Report written by George Black who has written for NACLA and The Nation.

http://hrw.org/reports/1993/iraqanfal/ANFALPRE.htm
> ...From the material examined to date, it is evident that detailed
> records had been kept of all Kurds rounded-up, then sorted out and
> dispatched, either to their deaths or to prison or resettlement camps.
> When the overlord of Anfal, Ali Hassan al-Majid, who was subsequently
> promoted to Defense Minister, met with Kurdish leaders in May 1991 for
> abortive peace negotiations, he knew what he was talking about. Faced
> with the Kurds' demands for an explanation as to what had happened to the
> disappeared -- a number they put at 182,000 -- he exploded that the total
> number (killed in the Anfal) "could not have been more than 100,000." It
> was a telling order of magnitude, not to mention an admission of guilt.

http://www.hrw.org/reports/1993/iraqanfal/APPENDIXA.htm

Ali Hassan al-Majid>...I said I cannot let your village stay because I will attack it with chemical weapons. Then you and your family will die. You must leave right now. Because I cannot tell you the same day that I am going to attack with chemical weapons. I will kill them all with chemical weapons! Who is going to say anything? The international community? Fuck them! The international community and those who listen to them.

-- Michael Pugliese