[lbo-talk] Krugman: Success of the Right is a Puzzle

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 8 22:09:23 PST 2003

"Money is surely part of the story. Recent statistics confirm that income inequality in the United States has returned to Gilded Age levels; maybe, then, our newly empowered rich are in a position to buy themselves a return to Gilded Age politics. Religion is also part of the story: in effect, the religious right—a majority of whose adherents are very much losers in the new economic order—seems to have made a deal to support low taxes for the rich and weak regulation in return for a more Bible-friendly government. And 9/11 was, of course, the best gift the right could have wished for—a perfect occasion to shift politics to a permanent war footing, in which criticism of our leaders could be shouted down as unpatriotic. But the success of today's right, despite its manifest greediness and irresponsibility, remains a puzzle. And it's a puzzle we'd better solve soon, if we want to preserve the America we grew up in."

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/16790