[lbo-talk] re Investigators Say Iraqi Mass Graves Hold 300,000

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sat Nov 8 22:36:39 PST 2003

Doug was asking how many of these alleged (I say alleged since the main claims and responsibility for the search for 'mass graves' is the US military and those with an allegiance to that institution) mass graves were from the era when Saddam was our son of a bitch...The AP report I read today stated that the majority of the graves came from that era. I'd guess a good number of these 'mass graves' are also of Iran-Iraq war victims...in addition to the dissidents and other innocents that saddam killed for non-war reasons. It's amusing how when things get really bad someone from this unit of the US army suddenly announces a new discovery of 'mass graves' or new 'numbers'...The almost thorough trivialisation of the notion of human rights work...

steve