[lbo-talk] Krugman: Success of the Right is a Puzzle

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 9 15:38:22 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Chip Berlet wrote:
>
> >This IS all about the political right using Gramsci's theories to
> >establish cultural hegemony through skillful framing of issues and the
> >use of right-wing populist rhetoric that generally plays well to a broad
> >audience in the U.S. What is puzzling is why the liberals and the left
> >can't seem to break through this crap with a set of frames and messages
> >that captures the public's attention.
> >
> >Some of them actually cite Gramsci.
>
> Help us, Chip! You're the expert on the right's appeal. How can we
> short-circuit it?

This is all well and good, but the best written piece of agitation ever will have no effect if no one knows of its existence, or reads or listens to or even knows of the existence of the media that might mention its existence.

Establishing one's visibility, manifesting one's existence, must be prior to being read. And existing must be prior to being visible or manifesting one's existence. And that means that in order to talk to _new_ people (and of course talking to new people, as I have been gloriously doing here lately, is the goal), one must first exist by mobilizing ourselves into some coherent form.

So first figure out a way for "we" to come into existence (as other than a bunch of journalists and academics) before you get too wound up about coining new slogans.

Carrol