[lbo-talk] Scott Ritter: I Saw the Iraqi Blueprint For Insurgency--In '97

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 10 08:50:24 PST 2003

"A chilling realization overcame us when we entered a gymnasium-sized room and saw that the floors were painted in a giant map of the neighborhood. The streets were lined with stacked metallic "in-box" trays - each stack represented a house or apartment building. A three-story building, for example, contained three levels of trays; each tray contained dossiers on each citizen living on that floor. Similar units existed in other neighborhoods, including those deemed "anti-regime."

Hussein's government was - and its remnants are - intimately familiar with every square inch of Baghdad: who was loyal, where they live, and who they associated with. (The same can be said about all of Iraq, for that matter, even the Kurdish and Shiite regions.) This information allows officials from the remnants of Hussein's intelligence and security services to hide undetected among a sympathetic population."

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/1110/p09s02-coop.html