[lbo-talk] RE: Oberlin College

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 10 11:23:11 PST 2003

joanna bujes <jbujes at covad.net> wrote: Mike Larkin writes:

"At work, "traditional men" talk constantly of indulging men's clubs, off color movies, etc., and then condemn Clinton for his "moral depravity." They honestly don't get the hypocricy.

When I was growing up in the late 70s, the men of the Parish Council at my Catholic Church would gather around on weekends in the church basement and watch blue movies. Almost all of them voted Republican."

Be careful. There's no hypocrisy. The fact that a bunch of guys get together to watch porn is not the same as saying that they believe sexual freedom is a good thing. There are some men who believe that watching porn is a guy thing and proves that they are real men. These kind of men think that sex is dirty and basically get off not on the fact that it feels good but on the fact that sex demeans and degrades women.

The problem with Oberlin for them is not that sex occurs but that no one is ashamed about it. The notion of women liking sex, enjoying sex...as sexual subjects...experimenting with sex... is frightening to such men; it is the sign of moral depravity and indicative of the fact that it would be very hard to control or browbeat such women.

Joanna

Actually, part of my point was that they were watching it IN THE CHURCH BASEMENT. That's pushing the Hypocricy Meter into the ozone, anyway you look at it.

We altar boys found out about it because that's where we went to smoke dope.