[lbo-talk] Re: Angst fest

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Nov 11 08:58:38 PST 2003

Doug:
> I think you have a good point here, but two reservations: 1) the U.S.
> constitution is supposed to be our national unifying object, much to
> Dan Lazare's distress, and 2) there *are* Americans who use religion
> in a universal way - e.g. all those nuns who camp out at the School
> for the Americas, so don't cede a monpoly to the hardcore thumpers.

No doubt. My spouse is a Unitarian Universalist and these folks are unrepenting liberals who sound pretty much like lbo-talkers less the slang and invective :).

I also think that the Roman Catholic Church is a much more progressive force in the US than it is in Europe, especially in countries like Poland or Spain - where the only thing to its right is the wall. I think part of its is its universalist character ("katholikos" is Greek for "universal") which attracts like-minded folks.

Wojtek