[lbo-talk] RE: angst fest

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Tue Nov 11 09:43:02 PST 2003

Woj writes:

"The wide spread of the US-brand of religiosity attest to the profoundly fascist nature of the US society. That does not mean that the majority of US-ers are fascist - perhaps most of them are not (but neither were the Germans or the Italians) - but that fascist ideology has an appeal to a sufficiently large segment of the population to create the distinctive flavour that many Europeans find so repulsive. Europeans experienced fascism first hand and thus easily recognize it when they see it.

In sum, it is not the religiosity (meaning: metaphysics sum spirituality) that is so repulsive about the US, but the distinctively fascist flavour of the US society and politics created and augmented, inter alia, by the US religious institutions."

I agree with everything you wrote, but it's hard for me to see how these fragmented religious sects can be harnessed into one totalitarian movement.

Joanna